This is one of my favorite dishes. It is easy to make, very healthy and full of flavors.
Spinach, also known in Arabic as Sabanekh and we would say Tabeekh Sabanekh which means Spinach Stew; is another very popular dish in the Middle East. Mostly in the Levant. People might do it differently, using beef or lamb cubes instead of minced beef. It can also be deliciously made vegetarian by skipping adding the meat. The pine-nuts are also a plus and are not necessary. However, squeezing lemon before eating is all about sparking the flavor, so this is mandatory.
I always adopt the recipes from my mother who is a fantastic cook, there might be few additions or adjustments, like I use frozen spinach where she uses fresh, I like to use stock, she doesn’t… However whatever you end up doing, I think you will all love it. It is one of my very favorite dishes.
Makes enough for 4 people – Time: Not more than an hour
Sabanekh – Spinach Stew
2 bags of frozen spinach (400g each bag)
250-300g minced beef
2 tb olive oil
1/2 ts all spice
1/2 ts black pepper
1/4 ts cinnamon
1/2 ts salt
1 cup of stock (I use the chicken, but you can use the beef or vegetable)
- Take your frozen spinach out from the freezer and let it cool until you finish with the next few steps.
- Cook your pine nuts with olive oil until golden, set aside. (if you want to just use one pot, then use the medium sized one from the very beginning).
- Cook your minced beef in the same pot and add the spices along with the salt. Taste for adjustments and put aside 1/2 of the portion.
- Add the spinach.
- Keep stirring until the spinach cubes are all wilted, then add 1 cup of stock and leave to boil.
- Cover your saucepan and lower for 25 mins.
- Taste it for adjustment, and this is optional but you can add a spoonful of garlic and coriander cooking paste or make the adha:
- In a frying pan, add 1, 2 or 3 garlic cloves (depends on your preference) and fry over olive oil until it turns yellow, then add a handful of chopped coriander keep stirring until the aroma fills your kitchen. Turn off and dip it into the stew.
- This dish is served with rice, and a generous squeeze of lemon on top.
You will be able to find the step by step video on my instagram stories.