Honestly, this is probably the easiest and fastest cake I have ever baked.
Now the trick is, they do use a ready cake mix, which I kind of dislike, as I usually prefer making my cakes from scratch, but sometimes, you are just in a hurry and want to get just not any cake, but home baked cake. This can be it.
However, I do plan to try it out again by substituting the cake mix with the ingredients of the cake mix and see the turn out, I sure will update you all on that.
Meanwhile, and since this cake was very popular on my instagram and I received the most ever messages in my inbox with people asking me for the recipe, I no longer wanted to delay sharing it anymore. And since Ramadan is tomorrow, this actually can be (for people who fast) the best quick fix if you really get the sugar cravings after iftar.
I first tried this cake at my cousins house, and I loved it, asked her for her recipe, and she gave me the recipe of Cookies and Cups with her amendments which I have used and included below. I must assure you, this cake will become your next obsession.
So what my cousin changed in the recipe, is she substituted the icing to hot milk instead. And to be frank, the cake without the icing (that contains 2 more cups of sugar) is already very sweet, and the substation of the milk instead, gave the cake a moist to die for.
So here goes the recipe,
Please let me know once you do try it, I always love to hear comments.
Original recipe found on Cookies and Cups
The following has my cousin’s adjustments and some of my substituted options to some ingredients
1 Box of Yellow Cake Mix (I could not find Yellow cake mix in my neighborhood shop, so I used the Vanilla which was fine)
3/4 Vegetable Oil (you can use coconut oil instead, I tried both and they worked fine)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup of Sour Cream
1 cup of Brown sugar (I used half a cup the second time, as 1 cup was too sweet)
1 teaspoon of ground Cinnamon
For the Icing:
1 Cup of Milk (you can use low or full fat and you can also use up 2 cups)
3 Spoons of powdered sugar (feel free to use less or even none)
- Preheat your oven to 180C or 325F.
- Prepare your baking pan with baking paper (around 9X13).
- In a bowl, with an electronic mixer, mix together your cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla, and sour cream on low for 30 seconds. Then raise your speed to medium and continue mixing for 2 minutes. (Make sure you scrap down sides while you are at it)
- Spread the cake batter into your pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together your brown sugar and cinnamon with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly above your cake, and by using a knife, swirl the sugar coat into the cake. Do not over do it, you want to keep the swirl look inside and outside as well.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool your cake for 5 minutes, not completely cool before you add your hot milk.
- Heat your milk and whisk in the powdered sugar until it is almost boiling.
- Pour your milk on top of your cake as desired in quantity.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.
You can keep your cake outside or inside the fridge after.
Share with me your turn out.